Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Continuing the youtube adventure

Today I did an explore of various videos on youtube. I didn't really find anything particularly fabulous about the videos we were instructed to watch -
  • “lego”
  • “Liverpool plains”
  • “Kogarah”
I thought the We love our NJ libraries and QandANJ: Now Your Library is Open Late Night Too! were great examples of library marketing, and Mosman's use of Youtube for their Author Talks is a good one, though it shows the technology still has some way to go as even on broadband my picture and sound were inconsistent (as was a bit of the filming). It's still going to come back to the same old problem for many of us in local government though - getting approval for making a video such as the great US marketing ones could be a tricky and almost impossible process. That's not meant to sound negative, but it's going to be some time before the machinations of local government catch up with what's possible using Web 2.0 technologies. Author talks are however a pretty safe bet and probably wouldn't be too controversial. And other ideas such as Oral histories, staff orientation (though face to face still has to be preferable in this instance I think) and guides to library services are all good ideas and may be doable in the short term.....

In my explorations I did find the silly - such as UHF Conan The Librarian and Super Librarian ,
the disturbing - ANGRY LIBRARIAN,
the strange and you've gotta wonder why -The Librarian Song
and of course, the educational and informative - A Librarian's 2.0 Manifesto

I'm also embedding another video because I can't resist. I know I've already down this last week, but it seems like a good idea and as I've already gone down the cringeworthy path with the last one, this time I've decided to be tasteful and politically correct - so this is a vido about the Day of Action for public libraries which took place last November - a subject near to the heart of all of us who work in public libraries, and many thanks to Roger for compiling it - and adding his musical skills. :-)


No comments: